Vegan Coconut and Butternut Curry
This is a wonderful recipe and you don’t have to be vegan to enjoy it!
Quick and easy to make, perfect for a week night dinner. Enjoy.
• 2 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1/2 medium onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons minced ginger
• 2 teaspoons curry powder (mild spice)
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 4 cups diced butternut
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• 2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
• 3/4 cup water
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 4 to 5 cups baby spinachTo Serve
• chopped roasted peanuts for topping (optional)
• 4 to 5 cups cooked brown rice
1. Heat a pot over medium-high heat. Add the coconut
oil, and then add the onions. Cook the onions for about
2 minutes, until they start to soften. Add the garlic and
ginger and cook another minute.
2. Next, add the curry powder, coriander, and chilli flakes,
and stir to coat the onions with the spices. Add the diced
butternut, chopped tomatoes, coconut milk, water, and
salt. Cover the pot with the lid and bring everything to
3. Reduce the heat to medium and let the butternut simmer
for 15 minutes. Remember to stir the pot every 5
minutes or so to prevent the curry from burning on the
bottom. After 15 minutes, pierce a piece of butternut
with a fork to see if it is tender. If the butternut is still very
firm, keep cooking the curry for another 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat. Add the baby spinach and stir the
curry until the spinach starts to wilt. The spinach should
start wilting in about a minute.
5. Serve the curry in bowls with a side of brown rice or
your favorite grain. Top with chopped peanuts, if de-
Cell: 081 450 0190